Friday, August 6, 2010

On the road through Wisconsin

This morning I needed a loaf of bread and had a yen for some pastry. I saw a sign on the road that said Bakery, with an arrow pointing left. I tracked it down in Glaster, Wisconsin - and what a delight! It had a display window so full of good things that it was hard to choose. I finally settled for a loaf of Bavarian bread, a gilpec, which looked like a croissant but was just a little more doughy and with a touch of cheese. I could have also gotten one with basil but I wasn't feeling quite that adventurous. I also bought a scone and a blueberry bran muffin. Everything was delicious. I'm definitely going back to this bakery the next time I'm near Glaster.

Later I stopped in at a Walmart for supplies. I was the only customer at the checkout for a few minutes and had a chance to chat with the cashier. I asked her about the black gloves she was wearing.
"They're to protect my hands from lifting all the packages," she explained. "I forgot them in the car yesterday and my hands were hurting so I had to go back and get them."
"Where did you get them?"
"They gave them to me at the factory where I used to work before it closed down."
"Do you like it here better than at the factory?"
"I liked the factory."
Another customer came and I had to move on.

On the way out, I stopped to chat with a young black teenager who was selling candy. He (and his teammates at every Walmart exit) were raising money to support their baseball team. He was a shortstop but apparently not a very good hitter since he didn't want to tell me his batting average. He was very polite and smoothtalking. Someday, he'll either be a great salesman, a politician, or a con man. I bought a $1.00 bag of M&M's for $3.00 and wished him well.

Mostly driving today. Today is the first day,I drove more than 200 miles.
 
                                           view of Mississipi River from Goose Island Campground


 I camped at the Goose Island Campground. The sites didn't provide much privacy, but I had a great view of the Mississippi River not many yards away. I also had a great view of the sun setting behind the mountains in the distance with its reflection in the river. As the sun sank, I remembered that this was worth taking a picture of and went to the car for the camera. But by the time I got back the sun was gone. Missed again! Photography is not one of my strengths and remembering to keep the camera handy is the part I'm worst at.


No comments:

Post a Comment