Friday, August 20, 2010

Talk with the campground owner

It was my intention to do another blog before I left this campground. I wasn't getting a good WIFI signal from my tent site, so like yesterday, I went up to sit on the front porch just outside the office, where I could get a good signal. Before I could get started, however, the owner came out in his bathrobe and we had a long conversation. He was someone who had tried his hand at almost everything in the course of his forty years or so of life - a college degree in photography, jobs as a long-distance truck driver, an administrator, and a restaurateur. I may also have left out a few things. Now he was taking up hunting with a bow and arrow. I remarked on the stuffed deer sitting in his yard beside the porch, and he explained that he spent some time every day practicing his archery on the deer. We talked about problems of unemployment and he mentioned that his younger brother was helping him out there at the campground because his brother couldn't find a real job that would enable him to support himself. At the same time, my host was opposed to the President's stimulus package because, "We can't afford it." I mentioned that a fair amount of the stimulus money seemed to be coming to Montana for highway construction. His only comment about that was, "There are only two seasons in Montana - winter, which is long, and the highway construction season, which is short."  He was also a volunteer with the NRA, teaching rifle safety to kids. By this time he had already offered me a cup of coffee and I didn't really want to spoil a perfectly friendly relationship by expressing my views about the NRA. After more than half an hour, I excused myself and headed out. I could always catch up on my blogging some other time.

I spent most of the day on the road. Around 4:40 I found Lost Creek State Park. The park was aptly named, being located at a side road off of a side road. It was in the middle of a piney woods and was also aptly labeled "primitive." There were pit toilets (but with real toilet seats and very clean), and campsites with just a table and a fire ring. No hot water or showers. My campsite was actually fairly scenic, surrounded by trees and with a creek running just behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment