Sunday, August 15, 2010

Camping at Mt. Rushmore

I started off my day in the Badlands with a  conversation with a professor and his wife at the lodge WIFI corner. He had to be back to his teaching job in Iowa by next week. I can remember when I used to have to be back home by Labor Day, so I could go to work again, but of course that's not a problem any more.

I took the long route through the park out to Interstate 90, and then headed off to Mt. Rushmore.
Along the way I stopped off at Walmart to fill a couple prescriptions and stock up on food supplies. I am embarrassed to admit that I have become a regular customer of Walmart, but they are everywhere; they carry anything and everything I might need; their pharmacy is even open on Sunday, and their staff of underpaid and exploited workers is unfailingly cheerful and pleasant including a greeter (often in a wheelchair) who just stands at the door to smile and say , "Welcome to Walmart," when I come in.

I drove most of the day through the plains that looked not too different from the Dakotas and reached the Horsethief Lake Campsite in the National Park at Rushmore around 5:30. I had a very pleasant site overlooking the lake and with chipmunks scampering around. I saw a few kids swimming but I didn't see any horsethieves. Right next to my site was a site for handicapped people. It was mostly paved to make it more accessible, but it was unoccupied. I suppose there are not very many handicapped people who come tent camping.
I set up my tent and had a good dinner. There is a tendency to skimp on meals. I have to pull everything I need out of the car trunk and prepare it on a picnic table, but I am still trying to eat healthy so I can stay healthy. Tonight I had a nice frozen package of talapia in lemon sauce, which I picked up at Walmart (blush), a small Greek yogurt with strawberries at the bottom, a slice of Sara Lee "Hearty delicious 100% whole wheat with honey" bread, and an apple for dessert (rinsed to get at least some of the insecticide off), and washed it all down with a small box of Minute Maid mixed berry juice. Not bad for a homemade meal at a campsite!

I took a little nap right after dinner but got up in time to rush back to Mt. Rushmore to see it lit up at night. Quite striking.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been to the Dakotas, even though I grew up next door. I appreciate your descriptions. The strong winds are familiar. I hope you get to see some fine sunsets. They can be spectacular if there's no tornado or storm at hand.

    ReplyDelete