Sunday, August 22, 2010

Arrival at Glacier National Park






                                           outside wall of huckleberry pie restaurant  

 I started on a rainy day not far outside of Glacier National Park. I stopped to investigate a restaurant/gift shop that had a big sign saying that their huckleberry pie was a treat not to be missed. Since they said it was "not to be missed," I decided to stop and not to miss it. It wasn't the most wonderful thing I've ever tasted, but it was quite good.

I arrived at the park around noon. There was a long line of cars waiting to get in, and I was afraid that there might not be any more campsites available in spite of my early arrival. It turned out that I had no trouble getting a nice campsite at the nearby Apgar Campground (one of several campgrounds in the park). It was a dreary rainy day - my first one on this trip - so I just visited the Visitors Center and the surrounding stores and didn't really do much.

In the evening I went to their outdoor amphitheater to hear a park ranger talk about forest fires and their effects, both good and bad, on the parks and forests. Just as she started to talk about the impact of rain, down it came - a really heavy shower. It was actually very dramatic. Almost like she had summoned the rain by calling its name. In any case, I think she gave a 30 second wrapup to her talk, which was quite good and interesting but almost over anyway; I'm not really sure because with most folks I was already hustling out as the rain started to fall. Fortunately, altho the amphitheater wasn't far from the campsite, I had brought my car, so I didn't get badly soaked.

No comments:

Post a Comment