Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cleveland and Rock and Roll Museum

I spent a little while  in the morning back at the  the Metropark and then drove into Cleveland, where I took a 2-hour cruise on Lake Erie and the Cayahoga River. We had to stop for a while to let a big barge go past us. Afterwards, I went for a short walk in the nearby financial district. There was a shopping center along the way but it was closed and abandoned, as were a number of the stores en route. I did finally stop into a Subway and get a huge vegetable salad.

Then I walked back to the pier, which also held the Rock and Roll Museum. I spent three interesting hours at the Museum, but I was disappointed not to see anything about the Dick Clark Show in Philadelphia. Also I think of Rock and Roll as the music of the Fifties. After that came hard rock, soft rock, punk rock, disco, and more, but they treated all of these as Rock and Roll, so there wasn't all that much on the Fifties. There was also a fair amount about music which paved the way for Rock and Roll, which was actually quite interesting. The part I enjoyed most, though, was a listening post where I could choose any artist admitted to their "Hall of Fame" and hear any song the singer or musician or group had ever recorded. I listened to some Everly Brothers, the Platters, and Elvis for a while, and enjoyed it very much. It was almost 7:00 by then so I pointed my GPS toward a Red Roof Inn where I had made a reservation and called it a day.

Some more favorite signs: \
At a cafe in Clarion, PA: "Unattended children will be given an Expresso and a free puppy."
At a railroad crossing in Cayahoga National Park: "No parking on the tracks." At first glance this seems  reasonable. But think about it. Who in the world would park on railroad tracks except someone bent on committing suicide? And would they likely be deterred by a sign telling them not to do this? I don't think so!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Milt,
    I have read and enjoyed your blogs to this date. You have a wry sense of humor and are a good writer.
    (I also left a comment below your very first blog).
    You seem to be having difficulties with your electronic devices, i.e., your GPS (you must not be setting destination and/or the shortest, quickest, non-interstate options correctly, and your computer/wifi/internet connections; not to mention finding campsites.
    Hope you can get online and see these comments.
    Keep on truckin',
    Mitch.

    ReplyDelete