Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Led astray by my GPS

An American axiom: "Your health is too important to entrust entirely to your doctor."
An American axiom: "Your money is too important to entrust entirely to your financial advisor."
A proposed new American axiom: "Your travel is too important to leave entirely to your GPS."

I attempted to tell the little lady in my GPS that I wanted to get from where I was to where I wanted to go without going on any super highways. Apparently she understood the part about staying off super highways but not the part about taking me where I wanted to go. The result was that I spent about 40 minutes driving around in a big circle and ending up not very far from where I started. I must admit, however, that she did take me on a scenic route via back roads through Pennsylvania Dutch country that I didn't even know existed in northwestern Pennsylvania. I saw women driving horse and buggies down the narrow roads and tending beautiful flower gardens in front of their homes. The GPS lady  also took me up a gravel road with a great view of the valley below and the mountains beyond the valley. At one point I had to stop to let a couple of Pennsylvania Dutch farmers back up a large truck into a narrow driveway. He made it look easy. I stuck my arm out my car window and gave them a "well done" sign. The man beside the driver gave me a big smile and waved back.

That evening I found a very pleasant family campground with a nice wooded site, a laundry room with a microwave oven in addition to the washers and dryers, and even wifi.  I had trouble connecting to the wifi, but the lady running the campground sat down with me and eventually solved the problem. Afterwards, she invited me to join her and a friend and share their hotdogs, but I was already too full from having just eaten dinner at my campsite.

Whatever happened to tent camping? At the state park all but one of the sites that I saw had trailers of one sort or another, and tonight I was the only tent camper in the campground. It made me feel a little like a relic from a more primitive time, but it also had its positive side. I remember that one of the reasons Elise and I stopped camping years ago was that we were so frequently annoyed by campers playing their radios or TV's.  Now even if people are still doing that, at least they're doing it inside their trailers, so folks like me who appreciate a little quiet don't have to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment