Friday, September 3, 2010

KOA on the Pacific Coast

As unenthusiastic as I am about KOA "Kampgrounds," I nevertheless had the camp office make reservations for me for the next two nights at the next KOA down the road toward Los Angeles. Since this is Labor Day weekend, I knew it would be unlikely for me to just show up somewhere at 4:00 and expect to get a campsite. The lady in the KOA office tried to make a reservation for me via the internet, but the computer showed that the next KOA down the road was all full. But then she phoned the KOA and got me a space in an open field. It was better than spending the night by the side of the road - I guess.

The day was spent mostly driving and dividing my attention between the curvy road and views of the Pacific Ocean.

                                          lunch at restaurant along the Russian River, Pacific Coast Road


  I did have a very good salmon sandwich at a cafe overlooking the Russian River. There was a small round brick patio with a table and a comfortable chair and I enjoyed my lunch outdoors here while watching the river flow by. I chatted briefly wiith a couple other customers and as I was finishing I saw them at the dock below the restaurant hopping into kayaks and sailing off up the river.
Along the way I also passed Moscow Road and Sebastopol. I guess all of the Latinos now in the area must have been preceded by  Russians.

At the KOA I was told that the price was slightly more than I had paid at the other KOA and that there was a charge for connecting with their WIFI. To add insult to injury, they also told me that I should appreciate this high price because this price was  actually ten dollars less than their regular price for this holiday weekend. I was gifted with this discount because they were putting me in the middle of a field (which was only a little less private than their regular campsites). I suppose one must be grateful for small favors - but sometimes it's not easy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Milt,
    Wile you tour the west coast, Robin and I will be sea kayaking the east coast. We leave tomorrow for Maine, four days camping on Deer Isle.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete