Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Los Angeles

Still headed towards Los Angeles, I stopped off in Ventura to buy gas, use the library and have some very good beef Teriyaki for lunch at a Japanese restaurant.

I arrived in Los Angeles just in time to be on the freeway during rush hour - 5 lanes of traffic in each direction - the Schuylkill Expressway times two. Quite a sight and somewhat intimidating, but of course the hard part was that I didn't really know where I was going and had to depend on my GPS for the trip to the Super 8 Motel in Hollywood where I had a reservation. Fortunately my GPS lady was in top form and I arrived at my destination without incident.

If Hollywood is supposed to be the glamour capital of the world either that time has long since come and gone or I was in the wrong part of Hollywood. The hotel was located in a somewhat rundown Latino neighborhood. The good part is that the man at the desk was pleasant and helpful, the motel was very close to a laundromat and a Greek takeout restaurant, and my room was comfortable, clean, and reasonably attractive. The WIFI signal was weak, however, and the ice machine required a serious shaking before it would release its contents.
I did another blog, set my GPS for tomorrow morning's destination, took a hot shower and went to sleep on a real bed. I love my tent, but there's a lot of good to be said about hot showers and real beds in a private room.

No comments:

Post a Comment